Monday, June 30, 2014

New Chalkboard Wall

I've been really attracted to walls painted black and have been trying to push the idea for our dining but Mr. put his foot down on this one. Instead I had to settle for a chalkboard wall. This kitchen wall is what I use for organization. I was using scotch tape so far and it wasn't very practical nor attractive, so I had to come up with another way to attach photos and important notes to the wall.


+
 
 +

=



I had some leftover magnetic paint I used in my older daughter's room. It worked decently in her room but it wasn't magnetic enough to keep pictures attached. I made a mistake when applying it because I only shook the can and all the good magnetic stuff was left on the bottom. Of course I noticed that when I was putting away all the painting supplies at the end of the project. So when I applied it in the kitchen I made sure to stir it all very well. Here is the same wall two coats of magnetic paint later.




On top of that I applied two coats of chalkboard paint which was pretty straight forward. I used a foam roller again. The chalkboard paint takes much longer to dry inbetween coats and you're supposed to wait 4, yes FOUR, days before you can start writing on it. Well, needless to say I'm not that patient and neither are my girls. Here it is about an hour later.




It was a simple project that's a lot of fun! I've been using extra strong neodymium magnets and both the magnetic and chalboard properties work great! It's quite a bit clean up when we draw on the wall but so far it doesn't bother me.

No comments:

Post a Comment